Limiting beliefs, whether you realize it or not, have a profound effect on our lives.
They can affect your life in so many ways, and none of the ways they can affect your life is good.
When you can let go of your limiting beliefs, you can change your life and start living the life that you’ve always wanted.
Here are three ways that your limiting beliefs are holding you back from realizing your dreams and living the life you want.
1. They Taint Your Experience of Living
When you are constricted by your limiting beliefs, you will do far fewer things over the course of your life. For example, if you believe that roller coasters are dangerous, you will probably never ride one, and you’d miss out on the thrill that so many others have experienced. No matter how great your life is at this current moment, you are holding onto beliefs that are stopping you from experiencing life to the fullest.
2. They Make You inefficient
The limiting beliefs that we are holding onto cause us to find an alternate path. If we believe that the best route won’t work for us, we can spend a ton of time following a less direct way to work around our limiting belief.
You may have always dreamed of being a teacher but believe that you canÕt make a living as a teacher, so you do everything but teach. Save yourself time and deal with the beliefs that are holding you back rather than giving up on what you really want.
3. They Can Cause You to Unintentionally Harm Others
Your beliefs are more like a virus and less like math because they are more likely to be caught then they are to be taught. Even if you have the best of intentions, you can infect others with your limiting beliefs.
The limiting beliefs that you pass onto others then affect them for the rest of their lives. You need to take some time and consider who you are infecting with your limiting beliefs and how those beliefs are affecting them and their own potential to live their best life.
5 most common beliefs that you may be holding onto.
1. I Don’t Deserve Anything Good When you believe that you aren’t worthy of anything good in your life, you will subconsciously turn down any reasonable opportunities that come your way or sabotage those opportunities that you’ve already received. This limiting belief disrupts that balance of giving and receiving.
2. I’m Not Good Looking Enough When you continue to fail at finding a date, you begin to question your appearance. While appearance does play an essential role in delivering an excellent first impression, it is your charm and attractiveness that matters in the long run. It can be hard to appear confident if you always doubt your physical looks.
3. I Will Only Fail in My Dream When you trap yourself in a failure mindset, you will never have a chance to achieve success, regardless of what you are doing. The more you fear failure, the harder it will be for you to move on. Instead, you need to learn as much as you can from each mistake and failure youÕve encountered and move on quickly.
4. I Can’t Find Happiness If you donÕt know where to look for it, the quest for happiness in your life can be an eternal journey. While you will always encounter negative emotions, even when you are bursting with confidence, happiness is a skill that you can learn. You just have to start being grateful for all the little things you have in life.
5. I Can Never Turn This Around When you experience setbacks and challenges in life, you may end up feeling anxious or depressed. When you hit rock bottom, you canÕt see anything good happening to you in the future. If you continue to strengthen this belief, it will eventually turn into your reality. If you find yourself in this situation, it is vital to feel hopeful and start taking actions to dig yourself out of this hole.
Don’t continue to allow these five limiting beliefs hold you back from being a confident person and living the life you want.
Limiting beliefs can be incredibly destructive and will always keep you from achieving the life that you’ve always wanted. If you want to change your life you need to identify your limiting beliefs and start taking the necessary steps to overcome them.
How to Overcome Your Limiting Beliefs
Everyone holds limiting beliefs, and whether you know it or not, the liming beliefs that you hold can actually limit your success and ability to live a full and happy life.
Many of these limiting beliefs are formed in childhood and are based on what we’ve been told about ourselves and the world in general. If you find that there are specific areas in your life in which you aren’t getting what you want, it may be because of your limiting beliefs.
Here are three strategies to help you overcome your limiting beliefs and replace them with empowering beliefs.
The only way you can begin to overcome your limiting beliefs is to identify them. One way you can determine those beliefs that are holding you back is by journaling. You need to find time every day to sit down and write about your current situation.
Then you need to think about how you got to this point in your life. Journaling will help you discover your limiting beliefs, which is the first step to overcoming them.
A great way to overcome your negative beliefs is to observe the behavior of others. This can serve two purposes. First, it can help you uncover the ideas you have about yourself that you may not be aware you have.
Noticing specific reactions and behaviors within ourselves can be hard. Secondly, when you watch others who are currently succeeding in an area of life that you’re doing poorly in, you can start to uncover the beliefs that they hold that lead them to achieve success in that area of life. You can then begin to adopt these beliefs in your own life.
Be Your Own Mentor
Another technique you can use to overcome your limiting beliefs is to become your own mentor. Pretend that you are sitting across from your future self. Not only are the kind and wise, but they’ve achieved everything that you wanted in your life. Have a conversation with your future self and tell them about the areas in your life where you’re currently having trouble.
Ask them to help you uncover your limiting beliefs, discover how you formed your limiting beliefs, how to interpret the situation differently, and help you come up with a new set of beliefs.
The next time that you find yourself being held back because of your limiting beliefs continue to tell yourself that it’s only in your head. Use the above strategies to overcome your limiting beliefs and live your best life.